Friday, June 27, 2008
Was the first question posted to the NLH Q&A service in November 2004. Nearly 6,500 questions later, this question closed the service:
“Is there any difference in upper GI side effects with risedronate compared to alendronate?”
A sad day...
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
I have mixed feelings about the end of the NLH Q&A Service.
On one hand I'm sad for:
- The users of the service. I have been so humbled by the feedback I've received, it really has been great. I think it's a missed opportunity to not - somehow - keep the service running.
- Rosalind. She has worked on the Q&A service from near the start and has been wonderful. She made a load of brave decisions to come and work with me on Q&A. I'd like to think she's learnt a lot from the experience. Fortunately, she's got a new job but it will necessitate a move from Aberystwyth to London. I suppose I'm sad that I'll not be working with her for the foreseeable future.
On the other hand I'm getting so excited by the new Q&A development (TRIPanswers) which will launch in the summer. I've had the website to play with for a few weeks now and have been testing it fairly extensively. I've just sent another batch of feedback to our web-developers, so I'm hoping the work will be as good as completed by the first week of July. However, the launch won't happen then as I need to populate the site with data - which is a long, hard, manual task.
I've also been making new relationships with various Q&A providers around the globe and that will all help support TRIPanswers. I genuinely think TRIPanswers will be bigger than the TRIP Database...
Sunday, June 22, 2008
The analysis of speed and the identification of bottlenecks is booked in to start mid-July. This will highlight code inefficiencies that can either be fixed as they go along or will need further work. Fingers crossed it'll be the former.
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
- As a short-term measure we are quadrupling the memory in our servers. This should boost speeds considerably and hopefully this will be in by either the end of this week or the start of the next.
- On a more medium term basis we are carrying out some sophisticated analysis of the site to identify where the bottlenecks are. We're hoping that, once this has finished, we will be able to allocate resources at the problems. If we're lucky the extra memory might sort everything out!
I use TRIP everyday so am acutely aware of the need for speed - we'll get there....
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
They say a picture is worth a thousand words!
There are some caveats associated with those figures (isn't that always the way). But it's certainly worth pondering.
Monday, June 09, 2008
- TRIP Spain - should launch very soon.
- TRIPanswers - I've been given the site to play with and/or test. I've started adding questions and answers and I'm very pleased. So far I've added 250 questions, only another 5,000 before we lauch (in about 2 months).
- Advertising - we've moved to a new advertising providers, I'm having to manually assign search terms we receive on TRIP to the advertisers advertising categories. This is very labour intensive, but it'll hopefully be worth it!
- Winding up the NLH Q&A. Not much to do really, I've already started relaxing and moving my mental efforts to TRIPanswers...
I imagine I'll start more regular posting soon(ish)