Another glance at our webstats brings pleasing news. I’ve analysed how people get to TRIP, the top five being:
- No referral – 72.02%
- www.google.com/search 10.77%
- google.co.uk/search 6.72%
- search.yahoo.com/search 1.37%
- ww.google.ca/search 1.01%
The top ‘referrer’ being ‘No referral’, this means people who have bookmarked the site or type in the TRIP URL directly. So last week, of the 110,000 searches, over 79,000 came from regular users of the site.
I suppose it’s difficult to know if that’s god or not. I suppose I’ve just been ignorant of the ‘loyalty’ of TRIP users. Over 72% seems pretty loyal. Of the remaining 28% how did they get to TRIP? Perhaps via searching for TRIP Database, perhaps searching other terms!
Given our server strain it might be wise to stop Google spidering our content, that will buy us some breathing space, one to ponder!
August 17, 2007 at 8:54 pm
Hi, a little late to reply, but I just saw the post. I’m a medical librarian, and I teach a yearly Internet class for physicians. This year TRIP was on the agenda. >>Rather than just demo the sites and send the students home with a handout listing the URLs, this year we tried supplying the students with downloadable bookmarks for the sites we covered. So it’s possible that some of your “no referrals” are new users sent there directly by myself or others.>>As a side note to any other instructors out there, my students sure seemed happy to know that dozens of new sites were now just a click away! Hopefully making it easier to access the sites will mean increased use of good-quality resources, and TRIP is at the top of my list of recommendations. You guys do great work. 🙂
August 20, 2007 at 7:11 am
Thanks for that, always nice to hear such positivity.>>Best wishes>>jon