We’ve just upgraded to a new and more powerful server system – lots of extra memory and speed.

As part of the new system we’ve also improved two other things:

  • Upgraded the version of our search engine technology to the latest version. This has improved many things including my own bugbear – duplicate terms in the title boosting the result. In the old version if a document had the search term(s) mentioned twice in the title it would get a large boost. It didn’t happen often but it was annoying! But it appears that’s been fixed.
  • Improved our indexing of PubMed.  Previously we’d been grabbing all the content from PubMed via eUtilities and we only realised recently that this included all the additional meta-data including things like related articles and cited articles data.  This created false positive results.  Our new indexing will now only grab content from the abstract.  This means results counts are both reduced and more accurate (less noise).

We’ve tested it extensively but if you spot anything strange please let us know.

 

NOTE: I can see the new server but it might take 24 hours for the internet’s address book to point at the new version. If the ‘Evidence Maps’ link at the top of the page is highlighted yellow, you’re still pointing at the old version!